Monday, March 13, 2017

All My Love, Detrick

13549445
By Roberta Kagan

Jacob Abdenstern helps out a young Detrick when his bicycle is damaged in an accident.  This was the beginning of a friendship that would last a lifetime. Unfortunately, as the years progress, Detrick finds himself in a very difficult and dangerous situation. Not only is he friends with Jacob, Detrick falls in love with Jacob's daughter.  Why the danger?  Detrick is German and Hitler and the Nazi's are now in charge.


This is a difficult book to review because I have both pros and cons.


 
Pros:
-I like the topic of a WWII setting in a novel.
-I really liked the main characters of Detrick and Jacob Abdenstern and the father/son type relationship that they formed especially when Detrick's own father fell short in many ways.
-I admired Detrick for standing up for what he believed in no matter the cost.
-Overall, the story line held my interest and there were even a few surprises.


Cons:
-I found myself scrolling back and forth (on my Kindle) and rereading sections because the chronology seemed off in parts.
-There were some awkward sentences and misspellings that made certain parts a bit difficult to read. I usually don't comment on grammar/spelling errors unless it impacts the story, and unfortunately it did in parts of this book.
-Some of the historical facts were not accurate. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment